ENGLISH - Reading
Here at Abbots Ripton we endeavour to create an ethos where children develop both their decoding, fluency and comprehension skills, and their love of reading. We firmly support the core national curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, with prosody and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
We do this through having an early start, and rigorous pace to our systematic, synthetic phonics and early reading programme, and by continuing to ensure our children have the skills needed to read with progressive fluency and understanding, as they move through the school. We endeavour to instill in our children a love of reading and books, by providing high quality texts to take home to share and enjoy, both with family and independently. We regularly update our class libraries with relevant up to date texts, and children enjoy sharing their personal recommendations in class.
Early readers are assessed every 6 weeks, to highlight any gaps in phonic knowledge. These are addressed through daily keep up lessons for those in Year 1 and Reception, and through Rapid Catch Up lessons in Year 2 and above. This ensures that children are given every opportunity to make consistent progress. Developing readers extend their comprehension and vocabulary knowledge in whole class guided reading sessions and also develop their ability to annotate text to support their developing comprehension skills. Recent pupil voice acknowledged the wide variety of texts available in the classrooms and showed that children have a real love of books and reading!
For further details please see our Reading Policy below.